Admirable, inspiring and dynamic: three words Karen Inge and Emma Stirling use to describe each other and the very special bond they share. In this episode of Bite Size Chats, these lifelong friends share their unique experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic. From hitting the reset button and finding time for lost passions to identifying new opportunities in their work, Karen and Emma discuss their silver linings from this trying time.
Karen Inge is one of Australia’s most established and decorated leaders in the fields of nutrition and dietetics. She is an award-winning author of books on eating for health, fitness, sport and wellbeing and a contributor to state-of-the-art textbooks on sports nutrition. Karen was the first VFL/AFL club dietitian; the founding Head of Nutrition at the Victorian Institute of Sport; the inaugural Vice President then President and Fellow of Sports Dietitians Australia; and the first dietitian Fellow of Sports Medicine Australia.
- Founded by Karen and ex AFL Footballer, Jason Johnson, Dineamic creates ready to eat meals with health, quality and sustainability at the forefront. All meals are chef-prepared, nutritionist-approved and made in line with the Australian Dietary Guidelines, using local produce to ensure freshness and served in eco packaging that reduces 20 tonnes of plastic a year. Dineamic would love to offer 20% off for all Dietitian Connection members, valid until July 13 with code DC20. Visit www.dineamic.com.au to order and subscribe to the newsletter for further information on news and offers. Please note Dineamic delivers to VIC, NSW, WA and SA.
Emma Stirling, Advanced APD, is the Director of Scoop Nutrition consultancy and an academic specialising in food science, gastronomy and culinary nutrition. Emma is recognised as one of Australia’s innovative, entrepreneurial and leading Accredited Practising Dietitians in the areas of food and culinary nutrition and effective nutrition communication. An early pioneer of social media her blog Scoop Nutrition won the prestigious BUPA Best Healthy Eating Blog award 2014 along with establishing mentoring for over 30 dietitians and over 100 members of the Storehouse Blog Directory. She is a well-recognised media commentator and nutrition writer and recently published her first academic textbook, Understanding the Science of Food: From molecules to mouthfeel.
- As well as busily working on the launch of new culinary nutrition degree and post graduate opportunities for dietitians at ACU, Emma is also cooking up new projects in culinary nutrition for dietitians and nutritionists. If you’d like to be part of her culinary nutrition mailing list for future updates sign up here on Scoop Nutrition and follow her food adventures on Instagram @emmastirling.
- How Karen and Emma have coped during COVID-19
- Their takeaway messages from the pandemic
- Why now is a great time to re-evaluate your career goals
- Their advice for getting through tough times
- The importance of being kind to yourself and those around you
- Their thoughts on dietitians working in the media and self-publishing books
- How they’re staying connected with family, friends and colleagues