Did you know that Kakadu plum has the highest vitamin C content of any food on Earth? Or that wattleseed is a low-GI plant-based source of protein, iron and zinc? Or that lemon myrtle is a vegan source of calcium? Hayley Blieden is a get-up-and-go dietitian turned entrepreneur on a mission to shift the focus of Australian food culture from lamingtons and Vegemite to the native ingredients that sustained Indigenous Australians for over 70, 000 years. Together with the yin to her yang – her dad – Hayley has built The Australian Superfood Co, a company that is having a profound positive social impact on Indigenous communities through their work as a native ingredients supplier. Tune in to the episode to hear Hayley’s remarkable journey and where she thinks the industry is headed next.
Hayley Blieden holds a Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics and an MBA in Health and Human Services. After completing her degree, Hayley started researching native Australian ingredients and set out on a journey that took her through Alice Springs, Uluru and remote Aboriginal communities. Having been exposed to the nutritional benefits of many of home-grown superfoods during her travels, Hayley started The Australian Superfood Co. Through a range of unique products including raw bars, superfood powders and dried fruits, the company not only promotes healthy eating and nutrition but also showcases the natural abundance of the Australian outback while supporting rural communities. As a mum to Mila, 4, and Levi, 2, Hayley is now busier than ever, but just as excited to see interest in Indigenous foods rising throughout Australia.
- Click here to connect with Hayley and here to connect with The Australian Superfood Co on Instagram
- Click here to connect with The Australian Superfood Co on Facebook
- Click here to connect with The Australian Superfood Co on LinkedIn
- Click here to visit The Australian Superfood Co’s website
In this episode, we discuss:
- How and why Hayley started The Australian Superfood Co
- The scope of native Australian bushfoods
- How The Australian Superfood Co works with and supports Indigenous communities
- The impressive nutritional profile of some of Hayley’s favourite native ingredients
- The challenges Hayley faced as she built her business
- The social impact The Australian Superfood Co is having on Indigenous communities through their partnership with Red Dust
- How dietitians can support The Australian Superfood Co
Hayley was lovely enough to provide the Dietitian Connection community with a discount code for The Australian Superfood Co. Use the code dietitianconnection for 15% off at the checkout.