There has been a significant increase in sarcopenia research over the past decade, which has resulted in improved identification and management. Despite these advancements, Accredited Practising Dietitian and president-elect for the Australian and New Zealand Society for Sarcopenia and Frailty Research (ANZSSFR), Dr Anthony Villani believes that dietitians can play a far more substantial role in this space. In this podcast, we sit down with Anthony to gain a deeper understanding of the condition, including the nuances of identification and treatment and actionable strategies for dietitians. Anthony also shares his unique career journey and sheds light on his initiatives as the president-elect for the ANZSSFR.
Dr Anthony Villani is an Accredited Practising Dietitian and Senior Lecturer in Nutrition and Dietetics in the School of Health at University of the Sunshine Coast. Anthony is also a council member and president-elect for the Australian and New Zealand Society for Sarcopenia and Frailty Research. Anthony’s research expertise includes nutrition and exercise to support musculoskeletal health and physical function in older adults (with a special interest in sarcopenia and frailty) and the implementation and adherence to a Mediterranean diet, focusing on a broad range of health outcomes across the lifespan.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How sarcopenia differs from normal, age-related muscle loss
- The three categories of sarcopenia and how to identify each
- What dietitians should do after identifying an at-risk patient
- Specific nutrients to focus on when treating sarcopenia
- Anthony’s unique career journey and his objectives as president-elect for the ANZSSFR
- Daly RM, Iuliano S, Fyfe JJ, et al. Screening, Diagnosis and Management of Sarcopenia and Frailty in Hospitalized Older Adults: Recommendations from the Australian and New Zealand Society for Sarcopenia and Frailty Research (ANZSSFR) Expert Working Group. J Nutr Health Aging. 2022;26(6):637-651. doi:10.1007/s12603-022-1801-0
- Cruz-Jentoft AJ, Bahat G, Bauer J, et al. Sarcopenia: revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis [published correction appears in Age Ageing. 2019 Jul 1;48(4):601]. Age Ageing. 2019;48(1):16-31. doi:10.1093/ageing/afy169
This podcast is not, and is not intended to be, medical advice, which should be tailored to your individual circumstances. This podcast is for your information only, and we advise that you exercise your own judgment before deciding to use the information provided. Professional medical advice should be obtained before taking action. Please see here for terms and conditions.