A cheeky email that started with ‘I want your life!!’ was the first step towards Jenny Westerkamp landing her dream job as the Team Nutritionist at the Chicago Bulls. In addition to being in her fifth season working with the Bulls, Jenny also runs her business, All Access Dietetics which provides coaching, exam prep and career resources to aspiring dietitians. In this episode, Jenny describes the role mentors have played in her career success, how she landed her dream job and the journey of overcoming challenges to build a successful business. Jenny also provides her number one tip for how someone starting out in dietetics can stand out and make their mark on the world.
Jenny Westerkamp, RD, CSSD is the Founder of All Access Dietetics, the place to be for aspiring dietitians. Since she started the company as an RD2BE in 2009, the company has helped thousands of students apply to dietetic internships, pass the RD exam, and launch their careers. As a sports dietitian, Jenny is in her 5th season as Team Nutritionist for the Chicago Bulls, and previously worked for the Chicago Blackhawks and Chicago Cubs.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why Jenny became interested in sports dietetics
- Jenny’s top tips for landing a dietetic internship
- A day in the life working with the Chicago Bulls
- A $100 metaphor about taking action to get what you want
- Getting comfortable with giving and receiving feedback
- How to know when it’s the right time to turn your business into a full-time job
- Jenny’s milestone moment when working with the Chicago Cubs