After making his way up the university ranks over almost two decades, Dr Tim Crowe decided to take a leap towards a new nutrition niche – and he’s now one of the most prolific media dietitians in Australia. In our latest podcast, we sat down with Tim to hear his story of taking the bold jump into becoming his own boss and starting his business, Thinking Nutrition. Tim touches on the challenges he faced transitioning from a full-time academic to a full-time nutrition communicator, and shares his thoughts on how dietitians can stand out as the nutrition experts in a world of nutrition nonsense.
Dr Tim Crowe is an Advanced Accredited Practising Dietitian who has spent most of his career in the world of university nutrition teaching and research. He now works chiefly as a freelance health and medical writer and scientific consultant. He has an active media profile and a large social media following through his Thinking Nutrition blog and podcast.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why Tim chose dietetics in the first place
- How Tim’s business idea for Thinking Nutrition came about
- The impact of the pandemic on Tim’s work
- Key differences in the ways people now choose to communicate after the rise of social media
- Tim’s tips for authentically communicating on social media