Without a doubt, enjoying the right foods at the right times can definitely improve your soccer performance! To help you fuel your body for high energy, strength and stamina, sports nutritionist Nancy Clark and co-author Gloria Averbuch of Women’s Professional Soccer have teamed up to write a handy guide that’s chock-full of tasty recipes.
In their Food Guide for Soccer: Tips and Recipes From the Pros (2010), Clark, Averbuch, and members of Women’s Professional Soccer serve up generous portions of simple yet effective sports nutrition tips and tactics that tackle the food challenges that face busy soccer players. Whether you are—
-on the road
-rushing to a training session
-competing in a game
-enduring extended tournaments,
this Food Guide for Soccer can teach you how to choose the optimal balance of sports meals and snacks at the right times. You’ll learn what to eat before a game; information about sports drinks, gels, and energy bars; how to get enough protein; tips for the best recovery foods—and much more!
The book is well indexed, making it easy for you to use it as a reference book that answers the questions soccer coaches, players, and their parents ask about fueling for top performance.
Food Guide for Soccer is organized into five sections:
1. Day-to-day eating for energy
2. Carbs, Protein, Fats and Fluids—The Right Balance
3. Sports Nutrition—Eating to Win
4. Weight and Soccer
5. Sports recipes from players with Women’s Professional Soccer.
With more than 70 healthy and delicious recipes, Food Guide for Soccer is an empowering and practical guide that is a must-have for all soccer players, coaaches, and parents concerned with health and soccer performance.
Co-author Gloria Averbuch is an award-winning author of 12 previous books on sports, soccer, health and fitness, several of which have been translated into various languages. Averbuch is the former Director of Public Relations/Marketing for Sky Blue FC, one of the seven founding franchises of Women’s Professional Soccer.
Table of Contents
Section I. Day-to-Day Eating for Energy
1. Daily Eating for Health and High Energy
2. Breakfast: The Meal of Champions
3. Lunch, Snacks, and Dinner
4. Vitamins and Supplements for Soccer Players
Section II. Carbs, Protein, Fats, and Fluids—The Right Balance
5. Carbohydrates: The Fundamental Fuel
6. Protein for Muscles
7. Fats—The Right Kinds for Your Sports Diet
8. Fluids, Water and Sports Drinks
9. Engineered Sports Foods: Convenience or Necessity?
Section III. Sports Nutrition—Eating to Win
10. Fueling Before Practices and Games
11. Fueling During Practices and Games
12. Recovery After Intense Practices and Games
13. Tips for Tournaments and Traveling Soccer Players
Section IV. Weight and Soccer
14. Calorie Needs of Soccer Players
15. Bulking Up Healthfully
16. Getting Lighter and Leaner
17. Dieting Gone Awry
Here’s what readers are saying about Food Guide for Soccer: Tips & Recipes from the Pros:
“Nutrition is an important part of any elite athlete’s daily routine and we are glad the players of Women’s Professional Soccer have shared their fueling tips, food ideas, favorite recipes, and thoughtful nutrition suggestions with the authors of this book.”
Tanya Antonucci, Commissioner, Women’s Professional Soccer