We profiled Dietitian Laura Ford from Melbourne, Australia – about her work at Jenny Craig, blogging and more.
Why did you choose to be a dietitian?
I love everything about food and nutrition. I’m utterly obssessed with eating, cooking and food and when I started learning more about the science behind nutrition, I was hooked. I love everything from the science and biochemistry side, to the recipe testing and nutrition consulting aspects, all the way to solving clinical problems. I seriously just love it all. It was the perfect career that encapsulates everything I love.
Could you tell us a little about your current role – who you work with, what clients you see and what do you find most rewarding?
I have recently been appointed a role as a Company Dietitian at Jenny Craig. My role involves menu planning, answering nutrition questions from the consultants and recipe development. I’ve also had the opportunity to develop and roll out a health promotion initiative across all Australian and New Zealand centres as a way to improve staff wellness. I love that in my role I get to live and breathe food and nutrition and most of the time it doesn’t even feel like work! I also love that everyone in the Jenny Craig family is so passionate about making a difference to our clients’ lives. It’s wonderful to know that our work has a profound effect on the health and wellbeing of others.
Where do you get ideas for your online content?
I get ideas from other food blogs, Instagram and by going to restaurants in the Melbourne food scene.
What are the top 3 questions that other dietitians (or student dietitians) ask you?
My main questions usually are about the development of my Instagram account and followers:
- How did you build up your following? (Lots of hard work and networking other like-minded people on social media)
- Do you take all your photos? (Yes I do!)
- How do you find the time to do it all? (I have no idea…I’m always on the go and at this stage it’s just become part of my routine)
- Favourite mobile app: Instagram (of course) and I also love VSCO for editing photos.
- Favourite food: I love cheese, pasta, nuts and wine (that counts as food right?)
- My favourite tool to keep me organised is: A good old fashioned ‘To Do’ List. I used to be so disorganized but once I started having to juggle part time work, uni and social media, a ‘To Do’ List helped me remember everything. It’s also incredibly satisfying crossing things off a list.
- I cannot live without: My rescue kitty Luna and my phone.
- Something I always have on my desk and why: My drink bottle and fruit. I always forget to eat fruit when I’m at work but having it there in front of me reminds me to eat it.
Follow Laura on Instagram: @laurafordnutrition