A Locum Dietitian position is available in South East QLD with Healthy Lifestyles Australia. The position requires flexibility as the successful applicant will be covering our dietitians who are on holiday/sick leave. The role includes both clinical tasks (e.g. one-on-one consultations and group presentations) and administration tasks (e.g. booking patients).
We look forward to reviewing your application.
Healthy Lifestyles Australia – Locum Dietitian
Position: 1x Locum Dietitian (APD)
Location: South East QLD (from Brisbane to the Darling Downs)
Qualifications Required: Accredited through the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA)
Closing date for applications: Monday 10th June 2019 @ 9am
Healthy Lifestyles Australia (HLA) has been providing dietetic, diabetes educator, and exercise physiology services in Queensland for the past 8 years. HLA practitioners currently service more than 75 rural and metropolitan medical centres. The practitioners specialize in chronic disease management and prevention however they can assist in a wide variety of cases (e.g. sports nutrition, aged care consultation, work cover, public speaking, cooking demonstrations and supermarket tours). HLA’s mission is to promote healthy lifestyles in the Australian population and to prevent and manage chronic disease through physical activity and nutrition.
- This position is locum and requires a large amount of flexibility as the successful applicant will be covering our dietitians who are on holiday/sick leave.
- The Locum Dietitian will also be required to complete administration days working from our Head Office in Lowood (approximately 45min drive from Brisbane). This will include filing, confirming patients, and booking patients.
- Based on experience, the successful applicant may initially be offered unpaid work experience which includes shadowing dietitians to increase confidence and improve clinical skills to a level that would be expected of a HLA dietitian. This will be interspersed with paid reception days.
- Though this position is locum to begin with, we are looking for an individual who is motivated to grow this role into a consistent 3-5 day per week clinical role.
Tasks of a HLA practitioner
- Providing one-on-one consultation with the patient where you will offer evidence based nutritional advice and treatment. Most cases will focus on the management and prevention of chronic disease (diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, osteoporosis, allergies and intolerances, weight loss etc.)
- Measuring and assessing the patients diet history along with interpreting biochemistry and anthropometric data
- Facilitating and instructing community nutrition sessions where required
- Facilitating and assisting in the development of cooking demonstrations, supermarket tours where required
- Public speaking- presenting informative talks about a range of health topics on nutrition where required
- Marketing Healthy Lifestyles Australia services to medical centres, aged care homes, and other service providers by conducting marketing phone calls and face-to-face meetings with Doctors and Practice Staff.
- Be a likeable person who is able to provide a high quality level of Dietetic/Nutrition service to ensure client retention
- Travelling to the required service delivery location (Medical Clinic) and arriving on time consistently
Benefits of working for HLA
- Ongoing professional support from senior staff
- Superannuation (9.5%)
- Having the ability to function independently with support of a full time administration team
- Monthly team meetings to promote team cohesiveness
- Variety of locations to explore
- Systems, policies and procedures tried and tested and in place to ensure a fulfilling and supportive working environment
Key Selection Criteria
Please address the following ‘Key Selection Criteria’ in your application (no more than 2 A4 pages):
PLEASE NOTE: New Graduates are welcome to apply however experience will be of value.
Essential Key Selection Criteria
The successful applicant will:
- Be accredited (provisional or full) through the Dietitians Association of Australia.
- Possess and apply knowledge of evidence based treatment, management and research about a wide range of health issues and diseases including diabetes, obesity, malnutrition, cardiovascular disease, applicable in the field of dietetics.
- Be able to communicate clearly to patients, administration staff, co-workers and medical staff through verbal (one on one, public speaking presentations and informal conversations) and non-verbal (doctor’s letters and action plans) means.
- Have excellent time management skills and demonstrate their ability to practice independently.
- Be comfortable and confident with public speaking and delivering nutrition-based advice to a large group.
- Have a current Drivers License and car and demonstrate and commit to the travel associated with the position.
- Be committed to developing their skills within the position and immersing oneself in a positive longer-term commitment to Healthy Lifestyles Australia whilst applying flexibility required for a locum position.
- Have great interpersonal skills; be approachable, demonstrate ability to build rapport, and actively engage in helping patients with their health issues.
If you would like to apply for this position with Healthy Lifestyles Australia please complete the following documents and address to Tegan Douglas (HR Manager). Email documents to [email protected]
- Cover letter
- Letter addressing key selection criteria
For more information on HLA please visit www.healthylifestylesaustralia.com